My Letter to an Unknown Soldier.



This year marks the centenary of the start of the First World War. As with any centenary, individuals will mark it in different ways.  I was introduced to this particular memorial by welsh poet/writer Mab Jones

'Letter to an Unknown Soldier' was founded by Neil Bartlett and Kate Pullinger. 
As the title suggests, the memorial is in the form of a letter to the Unknown Soldier who stands at Platform 1, Paddington Station. 

"If you could say what you want to say about that war, with all we've learned since 1914, with all your own experience of life and death to hand, what would you say?

If you were able to send a personal message to one of the men who served and was killed during World War One, what would you write?"

You can read letters that others have submitted and write your own by following this link.

Below is my letter to an Unknown Soldier. I have based it around questions and thoughts about my great-great grandfather. 


Dear Fred, 

I have your photograph above my desk, I am looking at you as I write. You are much taller that I expected. When standing next to Bessie, I imagine you must of seemed like a giant.  I am sure you will remember the photograph being taken, the one of you and your 'lads'? Tony stands like you, with his hands behind his back and a stern look on his face.  

I look into your eyes and catch myself thinking about what they would have seen.. Your wedding day? Your daughters birth? Her first words? 
Was it muddy when you went over the top? I have read that it was raining on the day that you fell. 

I do apologise.
I am so full of questions that I would like to ask you, I am filled with thoughts that I would like to share with you. I am full of gratitude and love for the sacrifices you have made. We both know that without your death I would not be writing this letter, I would not be wandering the earth and I would not be here without you.  

Naw deg-wyth mlynedd yn amser hir i fod i ffwrdd o gartref 

Louvain


I hope that perhaps some of you will join myself and thousands of other people in writing a letter.

No comments

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.

Professional Blog Designs by pipdig